Lundin Norway starts drilling of development well on Brynhild field in North Sea

Sweden-based Lundin Petroleum’s wholly owned subsidiary Lundin Norway has begun drilling of the first development well on the Brynhild field in PL148, located in the Norwegian North Sea.

The Brynhild field is situated about 210km from the Norwegian mainland. The field is estimated to contain gross reserves of around 23 million barrels of oil equivalent, while gross peak production is almost 12,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day.

Hydrocarbons produced from the field will be processed at the Haewene Brim floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) vessel before being offloaded for further transportation.

Lundin Norway has plans to drill four development wells to develop the field with a subsea tie-back to the Haewene Brim FPSO vessel situated at the Shell Pierce development in the UK sector of the North Sea, about 38km south of the field.

The wells will be drilled using jack-up rig Maersk Guardian, while drilling operations are expected to continue until the second quarter of 2014.

First production from the Brynhild field is expected in final quarter of 2013. Lundin Petroleum has a 90% working interest in the Brynhild field and is the operator, while Talisman Energy is the partner with the remaining 10% interest.