Project: Co-management of training centre; delivery of competence based, hands-on training
Partner: TTE International Limited
Location: Baku, Azerbaijan
Scope: Since 2003, Petrofac Training Services has co-managed the Caspian Technical Training Centre (CTTC) on behalf of BP and its partners in Baku, Azerbaijan.
In 2011, the contract to operate CTTC was renewed for a further five years. Two years later it was widened to include an 11-month entry programme for BP’s annual intake of around 50 Azerbaijani graduate trainees to deepen their technical knowledge, business awareness and communications expertise.
Today, about 85% of national technicians working on the Azeri-Chirag-Gunashli oil field and Shah Deniz gas field have graduated from the CTTC, including 120 new staff each year.
Working with our joint venture partner TTE International Limited, we provide support in the management of the centre and deliver competence based, hands-on training. Delegates joining the Foundation Programme are predominantly new to the industry. By the time they leave the CTTC, they have the foundation skills required for them to enter the workplace safely and ready to learn the specific asset requirements.
Over the course of our involvement in the project, our team has:
- determined the project’s assets, learner styles and levels of technical ability in the existing national workforce at the outset
- provided production, electrical, instrumentation and mechanical training at foundation, post foundation and non-foundation levels
- devised a tailored oil and gas curriculum to provide English language instruction followed by operations and maintenance training and assessment
- achieved City and Guilds accreditation for the foundation programme encompassing English language, HSE and discipline specific training
- fast-tracked the design, build and fit out of the training centre, including an Operations Training Plant (OTP) to provide hands-on experience of process plant operations in a safe environment
- Enabling BP to meet its nationalisation objectives
- With our ongoing assistance, the CTTC will continue to deliver high quality technical training and education to locally recruited people.