During the United Nations Climate Ambition Summit, authorities in climate underscored the fact that the major cause of the climate crisis happens to be the planet’s heavy reliance on fossil fuels. It is well to be noted that as the climate crisis globally gets worsened, it is indeed crucial to address the impact that’s disproportionate on those who have gone on to contribute the least. The fact is that immediate action is needed to move away from a fossil fuel-based economy, which is a cause of concern to both people and nature, and rather, one must look out for a 100% clean as well as renewable energy system that is ideal for planetary health and helps our societies equally.
It is well to be noted that a world that completely depends on renewable sources of energy like wind, solar, as well as other sustainable options is not just socially and environmentally needed; it already happens to be technically and economically more feasible. It is no wonder when we realise that the potential for clean renewable energy happens to be huge, thereby overtaking current as well as projected global energy demand by quite a margin. Technologies happen to be accessible easily, are affordable even sans subsidies, are safer, and are absolutely apt for decentralized systems that go on to empower local communities. There is indeed no requirement when it comes to technologies such as nuclear energy as well as CCS, and the extensive expansion of solid biomass usage.
Apparently, a world which is powered by 100% renewable energy happens to have the capacity to offer umpteen benefits, give out fairness, and encourage broad participation. Renewable energy sources happen to be for the entire lot and the point is that they should not be controlled or even monopolized. These resources are widely available and abundant, and thereby it makes them extremely useful for everyone.
100% renewable energy across the world has to be the new normal
100% Renewable Energy Platform across the world are looking out for all stakeholders, which include policymakers as well as decision-makers, and everyone involved to speed up the transition towards 100% renewable energy.
- The 100% transition to renewable energy systems must take place alongside a fair and equitable discontinuation when it comes to fossil fuels as well as nuclear energy. This has to be in sync with robust energy efficiency along with sufficiency measures.
- So as to accomplish a 100% renewable energy system, it is critical to build it in a democratic, inclusive, as well as participatory manner, making sure that it helps all individuals on our planet.
- It is indeed crucial to take into account that while making a shift to a 100% renewable energy economy is beneficial across country lines, countries that are wealthier have more ownership and responsibility to attain net-zero emissions at a pace that’s faster compared to other countries due to renewable energy’s rapid expansion. Moreover, it is pretty necessary for them to offer decent financial assistance to developing countries, thereby broadening as well as facilitating investments across the renewable energy gamut and promoting ownership in this sector.
- There happens to be support from numerous organizations, governments, as well as industry in advocating when it comes to a threefold surge in renewable electricity capacity by the end of the decade, vis-à-vis the levels that were seen in 2022. But it is crucial to sustain, as well as ideally speed up, the rate of deployment beyond this year so as to make sure that one stays on the path towards achieving 100% renewable energy at the earliest possible time. The shift should occur across all sectors of energy generation along with utilization, rather than being just be concerned with electricity alone.
- There is indeed assistance for nations so that they adopt inclusive methods that involve civil society and other stakeholders in order to establish fair and just national targets for renewable energy. These objectives must align with an annual increase of at least 1.5 TW when it comes to sustainable renewable energy capacity. International organizations such as the International Renewable Energy Agency- IRENA and governments are being urged to actively promote and facilitate the development of overall plans for achieving 100% renewable energy at both national as well as subnational levels. Apparently, these plans should provide valuable references for policymakers when it comes to their decision-making processes.
- International commitments happen to be of the utmost importance, but it is imperative that their execution when it comes to the national level be tracked independently, transparently, and is based on certain scientific evidence. So as to effectively put forth emerging renewable energy aims, it is a need to ensure that these targets get communicated and also understood at the regional, national, and also local levels. Fostering inclusive as well as transparent participation of citizens and local actors can make this happen. Local as well as decentralized solutions are key components of the climate as well as energy solutions when it comes to renewable energy. It is well to be noted that governments play a major role in this regard and have to be given enough authority to take proper and required action.
- Renewable energy goes on to play a crucial role in taking care of the climate crisis, as it not just helps in having universal access to clean electricity but also looks to reduce harmful air pollutants.