Events Date: 9

US Judge Clears Sunrise Wind Project to Resume Construction

Note* - All images used are for editorial and illustrative purposes only and may not originate from the original news provider or associated company.

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from any location or device.

Media Packs

Expand Your Reach With Our Customized Solutions Empowering Your Campaigns To Maximize Your Reach & Drive Real Results!

– Access the Media Pack Now

– Book a Conference Call

Leave Message for Us to Get Back

Related stories

J&V Energy Expands Renewable Capacity with 187MW Solar Acquisition

J&V Energy Technology Co., Ltd. has officially reached an...

Fuel Storage Systems and Industrial Tank Infrastructure Management

Fuel storage systems are a foundational component of modern...
- Advertisement -

All five offshore wind projects halted by the Trump administration in December can now resume construction after a US federal judge ruled on Monday in favor of Ørsted, allowing the Sunrise Wind project off the coast of New York to move forward.

The ruling followed Ørsted’s request for an injunction blocking a US interior department stop-work order issued on 22 December, which paused five offshore wind leases. The projects were halted due to national security concerns linked to potential radar interference from offshore windfarms. An interior department spokesperson said the agency would not comment on pending litigation.

Ørsted said it would resume work immediately on the Sunrise Wind project while continuing its lawsuit challenging the stop-work order. The company added that it was also seeking a resolution by cooperating with the US administration. Ørsted has spent or committed more than $7bn toward the development of Sunrise Wind to date. Company attorneys told the court that if the order had not been lifted by 6 February, the project risked losing access to a specialised vessel required to install an offshore cable, potentially causing significant delays.

“Every court to review this question has now found that the loss of specialized vessels and resulting delays amounts to irreparable harm. I agree,” Royce Lamberth, a US district court judge, said before granting the injunction.

Lamberth had previously granted a similar injunction in January for Ørsted’s Revolution Wind project off the coast of Rhode Island. An attorney for the US justice department argued that the suspension was justified by newly classified information citing national security risks from offshore wind operations.

Offshore wind developers have faced repeated disruptions under Donald Trump, who has publicly criticised wind turbines as unattractive, costly and inefficient.

Analyst Jacob Pedersen of Denmark’s Sydbank said political risks remained elevated. “Even with the lifting of the construction freeze, there is an imminent risk that Sunrise Wind will face a very difficult and turbulent period in relation to the Trump administration’s obstruction,” Pedersen said in a client note.

Sunrise Wind is located about 30 miles east of Long Island, New York, and is roughly 45% complete. Once operational, it is expected to generate enough electricity to power nearly 600,000 homes, with operations projected to begin as early as October.

Power Info Today brings together the global energy industry — from generation and transmission operators to utility executives and energy transition leaders — through trusted editorial, market intelligence, and digital engagement.

Our 2026 Media Pack offers integrated solutions to reach your audience:

  • Magazine & Digital Editions Showcase your brand within premium energy industry coverage read by executives and decision - makers worldwide.
  • Industry Insights & Reports Align with data - driven analysis, trend reports, and regional roundups across the global power and energy value chain.
  • Brand Authority & Credibility Position your company as a thought leader through expert commentary, interviews, and special features.

Latest stories

Related stories

J&V Energy Expands Renewable Capacity with 187MW Solar Acquisition

J&V Energy Technology Co., Ltd. has officially reached an...

Fuel Storage Systems and Industrial Tank Infrastructure Management

Fuel storage systems are a foundational component of modern...

UK Offshore Wind Strategy Pushes for 5 GW Annual Capacity

The United Kingdom must commission a minimum of 5...

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from any location or device.

Media Packs

Expand Your Reach With Our Customized Solutions Empowering Your Campaigns To Maximize Your Reach & Drive Real Results!

– Access the Media Pack Now

– Book a Conference Call

Leave Message for Us to Get Back

Translate »