Australia state government commences operation at $395m Musselroe wind farm

The Australian state government of Tasmania has announced the commencement of power generation at its A$395m Musselroe wind farm located at Cape Portland.

Commenting on the occasion, Tasmania Premier Lara Giddings noted that the 168MW wind project would produce energy to cater to needs of 50,000 households.

“All 56 wind turbines have been erected and will progressively come on line to take advantage of this world class wind resource.

“It builds on Hydro Tasmania’s partnership with leading Chinese energy company Shenhua which is securing investment and jobs in our renewable energy sector,” elaborated Giddings.

The project, which features 56 Vestas V90-3MW wind turbines, was scheduled to reach full production rate by July 2013.

Meanwhile, Deputy Premier Bryan Green remarked that Shenhua owns 75% stake in the project, while Hydro Tasmania holds remaining 25% ownership.

“Shenhua also has a major share in the Woolnorth wind farms at Bluff Point and Studland Bay in the North-West and Hydro Tasmania also manages them as part of the partnership.

“The Government is fostering this partnership because it will continue generating profit and value for Tasmanians,” added Green.