Close

Nuclear power plant being upgraded in 2012

Note* - All images used are for editorial and illustrative purposes only and may not originate from the original news provider or associated company.

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from any location or device.

Media Packs

Expand Your Reach With Our Customized Solutions Empowering Your Campaigns To Maximize Your Reach & Drive Real Results!

– Access the Media Pack Now

– Book a Conference Call

Leave Message for Us to Get Back

Related stories

DOE Selects 11 Projects for Nuclear Reactor Pilot Program

The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) has formally launched...

Equinix Enters Nuclear Deal With SMR Developers to Power DCs

In an effort to diversify its power portfolio, global...

Construction of First Kazakhstan Nuclear Power Plant Begins

Kazakhstan has formally launched construction of its inaugural nuclear...

CNNC to Construct Third Kazakhstan Nuclear Power Plant

China National Nuclear Corporation (CNNC) had previously been selected...
Southern California Edison (SCE) on Jan. 9 temporarily removed Unit 2 at its 2,200 MW San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station from service for a scheduled refueling and maintenance outage.

During the outage, SCE said it will continue its practice of upgrading plant hardware and systems when it is possible to enhance the safety, reliability or customer cost-effectiveness of the plant.Plans for the outage, and a similar Unit 3 outage scheduled for the fall of 2012, include replacing the reactor heads of both units and retrofitting the high pressure turbines with new rotating and static components.
“Key San Onofre plant systems and components, originally installed 30 years ago, have been continually upgraded with the newest technologies to ensure safe, reliable operations,” said Chief Nuclear Officer Pete Dietrich.The new high-pressure turbine components that are scheduled to be installed during 2012 will increase the plant’s efficiency and generating capacity, SCE said. The design and construction of the new reactor heads, including the use of “single forge” manufacturing that features fewer welds, will be even safer, while reducing customer costs by shortening maintenance outages.The planned upgrades will cost approximately $280 million and the cost impact on customers will be roughly 0.5 percent of total current rates.

Latest stories

Related stories

DOE Selects 11 Projects for Nuclear Reactor Pilot Program

The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) has formally launched...

Equinix Enters Nuclear Deal With SMR Developers to Power DCs

In an effort to diversify its power portfolio, global...

Construction of First Kazakhstan Nuclear Power Plant Begins

Kazakhstan has formally launched construction of its inaugural nuclear...

CNNC to Construct Third Kazakhstan Nuclear Power Plant

China National Nuclear Corporation (CNNC) had previously been selected...

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from any location or device.

Media Packs

Expand Your Reach With Our Customized Solutions Empowering Your Campaigns To Maximize Your Reach & Drive Real Results!

– Access the Media Pack Now

– Book a Conference Call

– Leave Message for Us to Get Back